Curls and Waves on Shorter Hair
1. A mass of curls cascade and are cut short at the nape of the neck. A side shot shows this style from a different angle, the back is also noticeable. The deep chestnut browns of this model's hair are matched to her makeup.
2. Quite heavy use of setting products and styling combine creating a swept-back retro image utilizing loose waves and a permed and backcombed finish. Dark purples also play their part in this model's look, muted tones complement clothing and make-up and add stark contrast to the shiny hues of the hair.
3. A slightly spiral tendency to this eighties inspired brunette hairstyle. A parting on her left with lighter wisps at the ends on the undercut. A lilac-colored or light blue dress with subtle shoulder pads would complete the whole 1980s ensemble. Her dark pink lipstick and dusty eyeshadow match perfectly.
4. We love this one with its loose angles on auburn hair and pulled-back section off the face with mousse or gel. Modern styling products are many and varied due to advances in chemical technology, they are based on a polymer resin (the stiffness) in a carrier system (the mousse or gel).
Retro Kicks from the Golden Age.
5. A lovely blonde cut with curls at the ends of side bangs all swept over to one side.
6. A bit of a 50's retro vibe, maybe a soupçon of Liz Taylor's influence. 1950s hairstyles on ladies in their twenties or older tended to be cut above the neckline and set in curls or waves. The lack of modern styling products made more elaborate styles impractical, even Liz with an army of stylists at her disposal must have struggled with what's taken for granted today.
7. A nice example of side parted dark locks. The barely perceptable bayalage on the curly ends finishes off nicely.
8. More flicked than actually curly or wavy but still worth keeping in mind for a more classic yet contemporary image.
9. Mussed up bangs on blonde hair. While this is a short style the bangs are pretty much on the limit in length without them being difficult to live with. The severe side sweep will keep the bangs out of the eyes.
A Few on the Extreme Side
10. There's only one word that comes to mind here: Pow! This look pops with class and excitement, with easy curls and simple styling. This is an ideal look for any woman that has thinner hair and needs or wants exceptional volume. This look is extremely easy to achieve, simply use some finger teasing and a bit of spray, to mess it up, curl it up and look spectacular all day long. The options are virtually endless, as you can part it anywhere, or not at all, and achieve light, large curls, or make it tight and kinky, the choice is yours.
11. The electrocuted look you've got to be sure of beforehand, several weeks to grow this out! This dark-haired model has a bit of an Eighties vibe, you just know she's wearing leg warmers and spandex just off-camera.
12. Spirals on brunette locks, loose enough to wear at the prom or formal occasions.